Publicists around the globe grabbed popcorn while simultaneously texting, dialing, tweeting and emailing fellow clients with the hashtag #ThisIsWhatYouWontDoToMe.
Sigh.... Kelly, I have empathy for you, I really do but you mucked up BIG TIME! Though the ladies of The View, and Rosie Perez in particular, tried her best to help the situation out and do her best to 'clarify' Kelly's honest yet misguided point of view on the "plight of Latinos everywhere" it fell silent in the social media hailstorm.
This. Is. A. #BrandSituation. If we were the agency of record, we'd immediately do the following:
- Set up meetings with all the major Hollywood execs we have relationships with through Kelly and review any AND all opportunities for Kelly to play a maid cleaning toilets FOR FREE. That would prove what she's saying that she didn't intend to offend.
- Create a campaign to support at-risk Latina girls in LA with a scholarship fund to support their higher education. We'd partner at least 3 - 5 years to show long-term commitment (we don't want people to think we're disingenuous.)
- Have our client submit to a gag-order after initial apology with media opps going forward while we work on a carefully timed exclusive. I mean, media IS media and we have other things to promote.
- Pull a "Beyonce'" and only "speak" via carefully crafted photo opps on Instagram/Tumblr.
- Arrange an EXCLUSIVE with Hispanic media such as LATINA, UNIVISION, etc. and admit to being a bonehead, ignorant accidental-racist-in-that-moment-that-will-never-happen-again.
We're praying for you and your PR team, Kelly! #1stLadyofPR #1stLadyRules
@1stLadyofPR is a #Branding Nerd. Lover of #Archetypes. #PRTherapist. Author of #1stLadyRules + Founder of@TMORRISONAGENCY.